25 February, 2015

My (eclectic) MAC lipstick collection...


This post has been sitting around patiently, waiting to be written for so long that I've literally finished one of my MAC lipsticks in the meantime!  It's just that combination of being busy, feeling obliged to do PR posts first (beauty blogger problems clearly!) AND suffering three internet outages in as many weeks, but now I finally have that window of opportunity to do one of my just for fun posts. 
 
Let me open up my MAC lipstick wardrobe and share - I love reading other people's lipstick posts (lipstick is my other obsession besides nails) so this was definitely fun to do!  It did actually serve another, "practical" purpose too because I was well and truly ready for a Back 2 MAC lipstick so I wanted to do a bit of a colour inventory first and see where the gap is in my own collection.  Read on and you shall see!
 

Reds

I'll start with classic reds because that's where my MAC obsession started all those years ago - as you might have spotted in the picture one of these is very old too (original packaging!) but I've been keeping it for sentimental value and because it - amazingly - hasn't gone bad otherwise it would be going Back 2 MAC for sure! I'm going to list everything throughout the post from left to right so here we go...
  • Lady Danger (Matte) - Described by MAC as a vivid bright coral-red.  I've been fixated with orangey reds over the past year and this was my most recent addition to my MAC family by way of Back 2 MAC actually! It's screechingly bright to the point I have to be feeling confident to wear it but it adds confidence once it's on so it's worth that first step.  While some of my MAC matte lipsticks are dry and apply with a lot of dragging across the lips Lady Danger positively glides on in one swipe.
  • RiRi Woo (Matte) - Matte cool red with a retro matte finish.  Now this one literally is a drag unfortunately so it needs the help of balm to get it onto my lips without tearing them up. I love the blue red but it doesn't love me back.  I've hung onto this lipstick mostly because of the rose gold limited edition packaging.
  • Russian Red (Matte) - I'm not sure what the official shade description is but to me this is probably the truest red lipstick in my entire lipstick collection! It's obviously old judging by the packaging and I've only worn it a couple of times a year on average because again it's a serious red and unfortunately that powdery matte formula dries out my lips.
  • Dubonnet (Amplified) - The deepest red in my MAC collection and my favourite of the four.  This is brownish slightly vampy red which adds impact in a more toned down way than my brighter shades.  Being a fan of the Amplified formula I love how this piles on the colour in a single swipe and has a slight creamy sheen. Best of all it's the one red which doesn't dry out my lips! Without sounding depressing Dubonnet is the perfect austere red for autumn and winter in Melbourne when I wear my black clothes in all their glory.
 
Now for some rather messy swatches in the same order as above!




Nudes

One of these nudes has literally been worn to death since I took these pictures because I loved it to death...
  • Peach Blossom (Cremesheen) - A soft pink-nude with a shiny finish.  I've been enjoying this as my nude of choice over the summer because it's a swipe and go kind of colour.  Cremesheens are up there as being one of my favourite finishes in the MAC family for their shiny formula but for one significant drawback:  a lot of mine have snapped at the stub.
  • Modesty (Cremesheen) - This was the nude lipstick I loved to death and finished off.  The mauve-nude tone perfectly emulated and embellished my natural lip colour so it was the 'my lips but better' lipstick of choice and I can definitely see it being repurchased.  Despite being a Cremesheen the bullet held fast without snapping so that's another reason it was/is a favourite. 
  • Brave (Satin) - This is the 'other' Modesty if you like as it has a very similar, ever so slightly more mauve nude tone and is my current MLBB choice.  Being a satin it can look a bit flat and lifeless on my lips worn on its own so I prefer to top it with a bit of gloss. I've just been reading this is one of the shades for the Kylie Jenner lip if you're into that look although I bought this lipstick a couple of years before the craze.  Apparently I was ahead of the trend!
  • Plastique (Frost) - Caramel frost.  I bought this one more than a couple of years ago and it only comes out to play as a topper these days because it's just a little too beigey on its own.  I'm considering putting this lipstick in my Back 2 MAC pile.
 
The swatches:



 Pink & Purples
 
This is a bit of a motley grouping of colours but close enough for me...
 
  • Impassioned (Amplified) - Described by MAC as a bright warm pink this - HOT coral pink in my words - is the most screamingly bright MAC lipstick in my collection hands down!!!  I jumped on the bandwagon with this one when it felt like everyone was raving about it.  Honestly whenever I wear this statement shade my lips enter the room before I do! I really need to pluck up every ounce of courage to put it on - although right now I can feel my little inner voice daring me to again!
  • Up The Amp (Amplified) - The official description for this shade is lavender violet - a pinkish purple!  I don't shy away from purple because it works with my complexion, whitens my teeth and it's an unexpected alternative to pink.  I've worn this lippy a lot but because the Amplified formula is a one-swipe wonder and super pigmented it's going to take forever to wear down the stub.
  • Rebel (Satin) - This scary looking bullet wears as a bright pink plum on my lips and this is my favourite MAC lipstick shade of all time and the first MAC lipstick I have repurchased.  I love how this shade can be built up from a sheer raspberry to a deeply vibrant colour depending on my mood.  I opt for this in the cooler months as an alternative to dark red but I can also get away with it as an unexpected summer evening lipstick choice when I want to wear a statement lip.
 
And the vibrant swatches!


 
 ****************************
 
After going through all the lipstick shades in my collection I realised there was indeed a gap and I needed a soft pink lipstick to fill it.  My selection when I finally did go the MAC counter?  Angel!
 
What's your favourite MAC lipstick shade?



22 comments:

  1. love your picks, although red category gives me chills due to my hate towards red lippies. Up the amp and impassioned are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reds can be high maintenance but I'm a classic red lover from way back! Up The Amp is a definite favourite but Impassioned still intimidates me! Lol

      Delete
  2. Nice collection! I think you need Heroine too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy you're such a wonderful enabler! Lol

      I've been admiring Heroine for so long because it's such an amazing purple - I think you might just be right about me needing it!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous MAC stash! My faves are Lady Danger and Pleasure Bomb. ❤

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just Googled Pleasure Bomb and it looks amazing! I love fuchsia lipstick! I hope it's re-released at some stage because I would seriously consider it :)

      Delete
  4. I'm also in the middle of swatching all my MAC lipsticks because I had no clue for months what I had or didn't. Yours is such a nice collection! I think there are room for a few more should you please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man now I want to see your collection!!!

      I've been making notes from the comments as to what shades I might consider adding to my collection - especially if I decide to part with the few iffy shades I have like Plastique and Back 2 MAC them! Herione is sitting right up there I have to tell you!

      Delete
  5. Love your stash - my MAC loot is all over the place too but I don't have enough of their 'classic' shades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been strategic about building a MAC 'collection' either - I've just bought colours that called out to me at the time!

      Delete
  6. You make me really want Rebel! :) I've been thinking about picking up more MAC lipsticks. Currently collection stands at 6 which I think is quite modest for beauty obsessive standards :p (Don't ask about the non-MAC lipsticks though, haha). Funny you should say you're missing soft pinks - I think that's where I have way too many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 is very reasonable for a lipstick obsessed person! Rebel is one of those colours I never tire of and I don't really have anything else like it so I say go for it :))

      Delete
  7. Great MAC collection! I'm wanting to buy a MAC nude next. I like the look of Brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave is most certainly on trend if you're after a nude that won't wash you out. Do try it with a gloss too if you end up with it - I love that combination best!

      Delete
  8. I love the old MAC lipstick packaging! I wish they'd go back to that! Loved seeing your collection. Modesty is one of my top 5 MAC faves, too! And Up the Amp! Angel is really pretty but it's almost too light for my pigmented lips. You should check out Craving (stunning blue-based plum - you look great in purple lipsticks and I think this one would be incredibly flattering on you!) and Syrup while you're at the MAC store! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'd hate to say what the new packaging actually reminds me of! I'm making more lipstick shopping notes now: Craving certainly does sound like my kind of colour, and Syrup is an old favourite and definitely a candidate for a repurchase along with Modesty :)

      Delete
    2. LOL I think the new packaging reminds everyone of that! *giggles*

      Delete
    3. Yeah Larie, I think you know I'm not referring to torpedoes either! Lol!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It's one of those unusual but wonderfully wearable shades - Yum indeed! :))

      Delete
  10. OOoh, I should do something like this, too! I think a lot of mine are LE though, and that would prolly just be mean...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I'd love to be 'tortured' like that! I can imagine you would have a collection after my own heart :))

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...