19 May, 2014

REVIEW: SCOUT Mineral Eye Shadow and Mineral Eye Liner Pencil


I was introduced to Australian cosmetic brand SCOUT very recently when I was given the offer to review some of their mineral eye makeup products (with a nail polish thrown in for good measure swatched here). 

I literally, embarrassingly, had very little knowledge of this local brand so I did some research to see what SCOUT's point of difference is.  I'm starting this post with some background info to bring everyone else up to speed if you're like me and new to SCOUT Cosmetics too.

Pursuing her lifelong interest in natural therapies Sylvie Hutchings started the SCOUT Cosmetics brand in 2008 to create a natural cosmetics line which did not sacrifice performance or style to offer "...colour, style, luxury and effectiveness of great cosmetics and skincare without being exposed to potentially harmful or unnecessary ingredient compounds of which the long term effects are unclear."  Therefore SCOUT mineral cosmetics are:
  • Formulated, tested and manufactured to meet all Australian and international standards
  • A proud signatory to the campaign for safe cosmetics
  • 100% Australian made
  • Not tested on animals
  • Certified vegan
  • Water resistant and can be worn while playing sport
  • Made from only pharmaceutical grade, naturally derived Australian minerals or organic botanicals
  • Rated SPF 15 as a natural sunscreen
  • Lightweight, non-comedogenic - allowing your skin to breathe
  • Free of bismuth oxychloride
  • Free of parabens, synthetic FD & C classified dyes, clays, mineral oil or petroleum derived ingredients
  • Free of lanolin, beeswax or any other generic fillers

Got all that? Okay, so let's talk about some products!

 
Mineral Eye Shadow
 Clockwise from Left to Right:
Run Baby Run (matte mineral eye shadow), Sunday Girl (shimmery mineral eye shadow), Vegan shadow and brow brush

"Modern - Elegant - Colours have been created to give you a versatile palette for day or evening..."

My impressions:
The 22 mineral eye shadows are available in matte or shimmery finishes so I chose one of each finish in complementary shades.  Run Baby Run is a matte medium brown and my idea of an everyday crease shade.  I've worn Run Baby Run a few times now and I really love the colour on me so it's likely to creep into my Monday to Friday routine.  More importantly I really enjoy the ease of working with it - considering this is a loose powder shadow (and I'm a klutz!) fallout is minimal, it applies smoothly, blends out beautifully, and it lasts all day without fading or creasing.   My other choice, Sunday Girl is not as high a shimmer as I'm used to when I think of shimmers but this soft peachy gold works well as a subtle lid shade or highlight and apart from a little more fallout overall performs as well as the matte shadow.  These shadows can be worn dry as I've worn so far (and swatched later in this post) or wet for more drama.

The double ended vegan shadow and brow brush (my bad for only showing half the brush above!) does a great job of picking up and packing the shadow on the lid and placing colour into the crease although I did find I needed a crease brush (say MAC 217) to really blend out the crease and soften it the way I prefer.

Mineral Eye Shadow Ingredients:
Mica (CI 77019) may contain (+/-) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) Iron Oxides (CI 77491 CI 77492 CI 77499) Chromium Oxide Green (CI 77288) Ultramarines (CI 77007) Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289) Pigment Violet (77742)


Mineral Eye Liner Pencil
Mineral Eye Liner Pencil (Grey)

"Glides on effortlessly to outline and define your eyes.  Soft and creamy formula will not drag the skin as you apply."

My impressions:
I always think of eye liner pencils as sleek skinny pencils, so these pencils are more like jumbo crayons to me and confused me at first.  Obviously they're not going to be your thing if you're into precision lining! I've tried Grey on my upper lash line and it gives a nice soft-focus definition along the lashes which is something a little different for me but different in a flattering way - no smudging required.  The pencil doesn't drag at all because of the oils and waxes in the formula - even over powder shadow - although because it is so soft I'd suggest setting it with matching shadow if using it on the lower lash line to keep it in place.  Sharpening keeps the tip tapered for lining. 

SCOUT Mineral Eye Liner Pencils are available in 6 shades (black, brown, grey, violet, green, and white).

Ingredients:
Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil* Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax Tocopherol Mica (CI 77019) Zinc Oxide Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract may contain (+/-) Tin Oxide (CI 778161) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) Iron Oxides (CI 77491 CI 77492 CI 77499) Chromium Dioxide Green (CI 77288) Ultramarines (CI 77007) Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289) Pigment Violet (77742)

 
 Swatched dry on the back of my hand. Left to Right:
Mineral Eye Shadows (Sunday Girl, Run Baby Run), Mineral Eye Liner Pencil (Grey)
 
And in action for a daytime look: 


Overall I think this range is a good quality choice for women who have sensitive skin, or want to stick with a natural mineral product and still want to play with colour on their eyes. 

 SCOUT Mineral Eye products can be purchased from their online store here.


(Products were provided for my consideration.  All comments and opinions are my own.)

10 comments:

  1. You chose some very pretty colours! Never heard of them before, so this was a good intro. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with the colours, especially Run Baby Run :)

      It's a challenge to be informative without being snooze-inducing so thank you!

      Delete
  2. Pretty! That eyeliner is a gorgeous colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks just a little like that new Marc Jacobs liner you chose too!

      Delete
  3. I like a bit more oomph to my liners, but the look is delicate and soft and lovely! Nice to see more options out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen a chubby eyeliner before so it was something pretty different from what I'm used to as well - I might try and use it as an eye base next and see if it can multi-task that way :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely!!! The more I hear about the brand, the more that I want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty wowed by the list of claims and now I want to try more from the range myself!

      Delete
  5. Those are some really gorgeous shades! I tend to like my liners really pigmented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your colouring you need a striking look! These eyeliner pencils are nice for a soft diffused look though :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...