After years of being blush shy nowadays I love blush but have a habit of reaching for the same one over and over (see that one with the major pan showing above?) That's the reason why I deliberately wore 7 unique blushes over 7 days to kick that habit! This isn't a unique idea but it's the first time I've tried something like this outside of swapping lipstick shades - and it IS a fun way of acquainting or reacquainting myself with some of my blush collection.
My week's selection of powder blushes...
...clockwise from top left:
- Australis blush (Baby Doll) - Now discontinued so that gives you an idea of how long it's been sitting in my makeup drawer. Baby Doll is a vibrant almost electric, ever so slightly shimmery pink in the pan yet it imparts a pretty, healthy flush to the cheeks. I bought it because it looked so pretty, then decided it was scary, and now having actually worn it (Duh!) I really should have trusted my first instincts. Bright pink blush actually translates as amazing on the cheeks! The funny thing is I already did know that because I'm often reaching for the bright pink blush in my Laura Mercier Lingerie palette (see here).
- Face of Australia (Nutmeg) - FOA still carry this blush in their core line so I'm not in trouble here. Nutmeg is a medium brown-peach and a great natural looking way to warm up the complexion when I'm wearing cool toned shades on my eyes and/or lips - if it was slightly less peach I think it could work as a contour shade too. An obvious choice for every day wear so I've decided to bring this one out on high rotation again.
- L'Oreal True Match Blush (Nude Pink) - My favourite every day shade as you can see by all the bare pan and because it sits on the fence of contour/blush/highlight perfectly. The pink is a very neutral and dusty beige shade and there are - yes really - pearlescent particles in the formula, giving a natural glow to the cheeks. I was probably cheating by including my go-to blush in the 7 day rotation but then again you probably want to know what my go-to blush is right? Okay so a blush which does a little bit of everything is a good everyday choice for me and I'm planning on using this one regularly to the very end because it's the fool-proof understated blush of the lot.
- theBalm (Hot Mama!) - theBalm describes this blush as pinky-peach but I think of it as almost rose-gold as it has a lot of golden shimmer. I was a little hesitant thinking it might be unnaturally shimmery on me but with a light application it's not out there at all. I wore it as a weekday blush but with a heavier application I think it would come into its own as a shimmery cheek shade for evening.
- Smashbox Blush Rush (Chiffon) - Another one I've had for ages and just doesn't get enough attention from me. I go through phases where I love it then suddenly it's too bright for me - infinitely better on summer skin when I have a little more colour. Chiffon is similar to Hot Mama! a bright peach although minus the same level of gold sheen. It goes with any eye or lip but can look a bit garish on me when I'm sporting my cooler weather pallor.
- Illamasqua (Naked Rose) - I love this blush because it's a cool dusty matte pink and probably the most true matte blush in my collection. In the pan it looks very similar to L'Oreal's Nude Pink but it is more distinctly pink when swatched. It's very pigmented and powdery so a little pat of the brush in the pan easily picks up enough colour for my cheeks. Very natural without being too neutral. I think this would work equally well, if not better on pale winter cheeks too.
- Tom Ford (Love Lust) - Coral, with fine gold sparkle and not as scary as it may sound. I've only worn it once - being precious because it's Tom F-F-Ford probably - but seriously it's coming out for a good airing this season because this is such a flattering coral on my skin and most definitely a summer shade. The sparkle is more subtle than I expected on my cheeks and a light application provided a lovely hint of warmth.
Swatched L -R:
Baby Doll, Nutmeg, Nude Pink, Chiffon, Naked Rose, Love Lust
What are your summer blush picks?